Wednesday, September 25, 2013

The Not-So-Poppy-Seed-Cake

So, hopefully this post will be shorter than all the others, but knowing my history, it won’t be... I am actually writing this as my cake is cooking. See what I did there? Goose is cooking, cake is cooking? I’m not in trouble, but I still think I’m clever… No? Okay, fine.

Well, as you can probably guesstimate. (← That is a word in the Apple dictionary.) I decided to bake a cake today. The story was, I was just sitting on my couch being bored, so I decided that I would bake something. My sister was really wanting me to bake a poppy seed cake before she left for work, so I decided to comply. Well, after a few minutes of sitting, just to spite her.



If you don’t know me well, you might not know that I actually love to bake. I like to cook, but baking is more fun. If you know me, you might know that I like art. These are the arts of the kitchen, almost better than drawing or painting because after you make it, you get to eat that delicious monstrosity. Mmmm a yumma dum dum...

Back to the story, after getting up, I thought, you know what? I’m going to turn this week into a special week. I will post about all different topics: movie reviews and restaurant reviews, done; book review, next time; and this post, just call it a “Cooking With Jared”. At the end of the week, you can tell me what topics you like and which ones I was totally horrid at writing. Because of that wondrous epiphany, you now get to learn how to bake a poppy seed cake. Rhyming? Still no? Fine… :(

The ingredients for this recipe would include:
1 package of yellow cake mix
1 package of instant vanilla pudding
4 eggs
½ cup oil
½ cup cream sherry
1 small sour cream (or 1 cup, according to my mother)
⅓ cup poppy seeds (usually one bottle)
powdered sugar (This is my favorite additional topping)

If you want to make this, make sure to preheat your oven to 350º F. You will also want a bundt pan, although I’m not completely sure. This is the one I use → 



This is an extremely simple, and delicious cake. If you went to school with me in eighth grade, you may have even had some of it when my group made it in FACS. Basically, all you need to do is mix the ingredients (exclude the powdered sugar, it’s a topping). Once you finish that step, it should look like this



You now need to put that batter into the pan. Or not, you can just eat the batter. It’s delicious, but I wouldn’t recommend it, it’s probably not too good for you with the raw eggs and all. I don’t know what you would do, but I usually just lick the white stirring pretzel thingy and the bowl afterwards. :P

MAKE SURE TO SPRAY THE PAN WITH QUITE A BIT OF NON-STICK SPRAY!

Believe me, you want to. I’ve only not done it a few times, but uhhh… one of those times was with microwave caramel… Not. Fun. In fact, after thinking about this in my head, “I need to say to spray the pan. I need to say to spray the pan,” guess what happened. I didn’t spray the pan… *facepalm* Luckily I caught myself after I only did about a third of it, but still…

This is the part that has always confused me on why my mom does this. The recipe cards she writes always say 12 minutes for cookies and one hour for cakes. However, every single time, it’s about eight minutes for cookies and 35-45 minutes for cakes. This one takes about 40 minutes to cook on 350º F.

Once you believe it is done, you can use the universal way of telling if it really is. The toothpick. If you don’t know what I’m talking about, just stick a toothpick in the cake and take it out. If it’s clean, the cake is done, if not, the cake needs a bit more personal time with your oven.

When it is done, take the cake out and let it cool. When it has, I usually use a big plate, put it on top of the bundt pan, and flip it all over. Hopefully it all comes out, if not, it’s not a big deal, it all still tastes the same. As you can see on this picture, it didn’t come out at the same time as me, so the back is in two pieces. :(



Oh and about the title of this blog, if you haven’t realized from the picture, we didn’t have any poppy seeds, *Second facepalm*, but don’t worry, it still tastes fairly the same.

If you liked this recipe post, or hated it, if you tried making this and you have a reaction, if you have something else that I can make, or if you just want to talk, post in the comments below. See you next time!

P.S. - A little clue to what book I am reading and I will post about next time, if you figure it out, post in the comments below and I will… not do anything, but you can still be proud. (Note that you can’t just search this or it’s translation up, it’s not direct back to English from what it is now.)

“Οι υφάνσεις ροδών ως διαθήκες ροδών.”


I am officially horrible at writing just a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment